J.D.R. Hawkins is an award-winning author who has written for newspapers, magazines, newsletters, e-zines, and blogs. She is one of a few female Civil War authors, uniquely describing the front lines from a Confederate perspective. Her "Renegade Series" includes "A Beautiful Glittering Lie," winner of the 2013 John Esten Cooke Fiction Award and the 2012 B.R.A.G. Medallion. The sequel, "A Beckoning Hellfire," is also an award winner. Both books tell the story of a family from north Alabama who experience immeasurable pain when their lives are dramatically changed by the war. Ms. Hawkins is a member of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, the International Women's Writing Guild, the Mississippi Writers Guild, Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers, and Pikes Peak Writers. She is also an artist and a singer/songwriter. She recently completed a nonfiction book about the War Between the States, as well as two more sequels for her "Renegade Series." Learn more about her at http://jdrhawkins.com.
Connect with the Author here:
After David Summers enlists with the Confederate cavalry, his delusion of chivalry is soon crushed when he witnesses the horrors of battle. Shot by a Union picket, he winds up at a strangerâs farm. Four girls compassionately nurse him back to health. David learns his comrades have deserted him in Pennsylvania following the Battle of Gettysburg, but his dilemma becomes much worse. He falls in love with the older sister, Anna, who entices him with a proposition. To his dismay, he must make a decision. Should he stay and help Anna with her underhanded plan, or return to the army and risk capture?
Top Ten List:
- I once walked two miles in flip flops and 100 degree weather to see the Delicate Arch in Utah (we thought we were on the short trail, but no. We were on the long trail!)
- I am a devout animal lover. My husband and I are down to two dachshunds and a small aquarium. At one time, we owned five cats, five dogs, an iguana, five tanks of fish, a rabbit, a guinea pig, three birds, a rat, two gerbils, a couple of mice, and a snake, all at the same time. My son wanted to become a veterinarian, so I indulged him by having those pets. Guess who ended up taking care of them? (Hint: it wasnât him!)
- I have participated as a Civil War reenactor and served as a docent during the pilgrimage in Holly Springs, Mississippi. I even got my reluctant husband to participate in reenactments. He realized how much fun it was shooting black powder!
- I am an artist and a singer/songwriter, and have written over 200 songs. I have recorded an album with my band, duly named the Julie Hawkins Band. (Available on iTunes!)
- Although I am left-handed, I play right-handed guitar and am self-taught.
- I am adventurous. I had to be, because we have moved over twenty times and have lived in six states. Because of this, I have life-long friends all over the country.
- I am spontaneous. When my two sons were young, we frequently took off on day trips, and sometimes weekends, on a whim. I once kidnapped my husband to take him to the Rocky Mountains for his birthday. For our wedding anniversary a few years ago, I bought two tickets to Ireland and surprised him with them. It was the best trip ever!
- I love Ford Mustangs! My first car was a 1965 Mustang. Right now, we have a 1966 sitting in our garage, waiting to be restored.
- I am a serious plant lover, and have over 60 plants squeezed into our two-bedroom house. Taking a part-time job at a greenhouse over the summer was a big mistake!
- In everything I see, I imagine a story behind it. My husband is astounded by this, but I chalk it up to being artistic.
To view our blog schedule and follow along with this tour visit our Official Event page
a Rafflecopter giveaway