As someone that has been in the writing field for almost 20 years there are a few things that stand out to me. There are many instances where "articles" are missing and a few instances where they were used and shouldn't have been. At least one instance where the word order was switched. I have no idea if I received a copy that was created before final edits, but wanted to mention the errors. Some readers may not notice them, but because of my background I did. However, It didn't detract to much from my enjoyment of the story and I had a hard time putting this book down. I read it over two different nights of reading time.
So, my thoughts about this book are:
- It is a YA book with a bit more "sex" than I would want most YA aged readers to read. I know that other YA series are written like this, but as a parent of a 16 year old, I don't think she would be comfortable with reading the level of maturity that is depicted in this book.
- There were parts of the book that were a bit slow for me, I would think... "could we move on."
- This book is a part two of a trilogy, although I basically was able to catch up with the story, there were times that the past was mentioned and I did not know what the reference was to, so you will want to read book 1 first.
- The complexity of the world created by this author is amazing. In my opinion there are a lot of connections and facts that could have easily been confused and not used correctly in the book. This author did a wonderful job of staying consistent to all of the aspects of her world.
- I seriously wish this was an adult level book. I adore the story and think it would be amazing to see it with older characters. That being said, I believe that those who enjoy YA books will love this one. The connections between the characters and the action that takes them down the path to their future are so well written from that I want to read the next book and find out what happens. I might even go back and read book 1.